Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Our Cruise

In December, we had our 10 year anniversary.  We knew we wanted to do something special to celebrate, so Chad booked us on a cruise.  These are just a few of our experiences.  We had so much fun!  Even if Chad began having fever on Tuesday and when we got home we learned that the kids had the flu and ear infections!  We just pumped Chad with Advil and he was a real trooper and we did everything we wanted to do and had a blast!

We left out Monday around 5:30 p.m.  On Tuesday, we had a day at sea.  A rough, windy day at sea.  We were stumbling all over the place!  One of the comedians joked that "you can tell who the drunk people are...they are walking straight!"  I had some kind of oil that you put behind your ears and that helped me a lot.  However, sitting here typing, I still feel as if I am moving and sliding forward into the keyboard!  Tuesday night was our elegant night...

On Wednesday, we stopped in Progreso.  We were a little nervous about this area because we had heard several stories, but we LOVED it!  It seemed so authentic and we liked talking to the people.  I enjoyed practicing some of the Spanish I learned in high school and college. 

We took a double-decker bus tour and loved it!  Our guide was so funny!




After the bus tour we got massages on the beach.  They had so many massage places.  You could get an hour long massage for $10.  It was great! We also ate lunch on the beach.

This picture is out of order, but our guide stopped the bus for us to get a drink.  If you order a coke drink on the boat is a little over $2.  So I wasn't gettting many drinks.  In fact, I think I bought 2 the whole time.  So when he stopped here and said all drinks were $1, Chad got us both one! Corona's were also a dollar.  We don't drink Corona's but apparently this was a good deal by seeing how fast people would buy them!


This little girl had been trained in the ways of selling her wares.  She was so sweet!  I had heard all day long..."Lady, over here!" and "For you lady, I'll give it to you for__."  This girl was selling bracelets and starfish.  She thought she was really buttering me up because she leaned in really close and she said, "They are $5, but FOR YOU lady, you can have them for___."  I just loved her.  And I guess it worked because I bought a starfish, which turned out to be really stinky and we gave her a bag of chips.  Chad had bought them just to get change to pay for out lunch and so when she asked if she could have one-we gave her the bag!  This girl really won out!  But I was missing my kids and she reminded me of them.  While we were eating I also got one of the gentlemen with guitars to sing a song I learned in Spanish class.  (I used to charm Chad with my Spanish songs :-)  Anyway he sang the, "Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Canta ay no llores" (not sure of the real name or my spelling of these words) but I thought I may never be here again so why not?

Our chicken tacos on the beach... 

One day we went to the top of the boat to play putt-putt.  And a bird pooped on me!  So, Chad had to take a picture.

Beautiful sunset from the back of our boat...

Each night the waiters would entertain us.  This night was the best!  They sang and danced to "Apple Bottom Jeans" or what they called "Low, Low."

Of course, there were towel creations...and this one scared me to death when I walked into the dark room!

Chad and I loved watching karaoke.  Sometimes it was really good and sometimes it was so funny! This guy on stage could sing any genre of music and sing it well.  He had blown out a great country song the night before and this night he wanted to showcase a different genre.  He chose the "I like big butts" song.  What was funny-is these two larger people got up to dance for the song and the crowd just went wild!

Then we stopped in Cozumel



If you look by the hut, you will see our clear kayaks.  We got to kayak in the ocean in clear bottom kayaks so we could see fish underneath us.  We didn't see very many though.

We saw this lizard creature on the way to the beach...there were several just roaming around.

Roberto was our guide and he was great!!!  After the kayak we went snorkeling.  I had a little trouble with my goggles.  I don't know if it was my makeup in my eyes or the saltwater, but my eyes started burning.  So most of my snorkeling was done with one eye closed.  But it was GREAT!  The fish that we saw were so colorful and big.  I would take off my mask to wipe my eyes and not think any fish were around me.  But as soon as I put it back on and stuck my head in the water...they were right beside me and all around me!  I don't know how they weren't bumping into everybody, but they never did touch us.  It was so neat.  Chad and I decided if we go back we will probably just focus on a snorkeling excursion.

We had someone take our picture after drying out from snorkeling and eating Mexican nachos on the beach.

This is the park where we had our excursion.

At the shops, they had a human statue that would stand really still and then jump out at people.  He would scare them to death!  We heard several curse words while watching him!  :-)

I didn't take many pictures of the boat because there are several on the website, but I wanted a picture of the beautiful atrium.  This is with my not-so-good camera.  The big one was just too much to lug around everywhere.

This was our last night on the boat.  We were waiting on a show to start.  We really had so much fun!  I told Chad it felt like camp. Because you see a lot of the same people everyday and the crew that works with you are the same. We even made friends with another couple from Arkansas who we had so much in common with.  I also thought it was like Disneyworld because all of the staff were so helpful.  We were so well taken care of that we didn't to worry about anything.  I am so glad that we took this time for ourselves.  I missed the kids so much but I am happy we took time to celebrate our marriage and our relationship and in turn it shows our children that our marriage is important.  Then, hopefully they will look for these qualities in a mate and will cultivate their marriages also.

This is a video of the waiters dancing...

No comments: