
Monday, March 15, 2010
Goal: Accomplished
My goal, when I turned 30, was to do something for myself that would challenge me and would be a major accomplishment. Maybe it was so I wouldn't feel like I was getting older. I decided to try and run a half-marathon. My goal was not about how long it took me, but I wanted to run the whole 13.1 miles and not walk at all. On Saturday, March 13th, I had a major milestone when I achieved my goal. According to my running schedule, I was supposed to run 12 miles. I got to the track, and when I rounded the first corner, it started raining. I was okay with that because I like the rain. Then it started pouring! I had rain dripping off my nose! Also, during the first mile, I got a pebble in my left shoe. About mile 6 it actually hailed or sleeted (whatever you call pebbles of ice falling during this time of year) on me. About mile 9, I got a pebble in my other shoe. It was almost as if everything to make this run uncomforable was happening to me. During my run I had a very spititual experience. It was just me and God out there. Sure, every now and then there would be someone on the track but mostly I was the only loon out there in that weather. I had to depend solely on God to get me through this one. I don't know how many prayers I said...actually, it was probably one, long, continuous prayer...but every time God encouraged me and gave me the strength to push through. I remember one time thinking..."I just don't think I will finish" and the next song on my MP3 player was Casting Crown's "The Voice of Truth"...if you don't know that song, it talks about relying on the Voice of Truth instead of the voice of fear. I feel like God was encouraging me to listen to Him and not the bad dialogue running through my head. It was cold, rainy, my body hurt, but God kept my feet moving. I had known when I started the first mile that if my schedule said 12 miles, that I would try and run the half-marathon. I just couldn't come that far and then not go the full 13.1 miles. So, I knew that equaled 9 times around the track at the rec. center. It was very challenging mentally because after the first lap I knew that I still had 8 more to go. So I kept the prayers flowing. When I got around mile 10 or 11, I was realizing what an experience this was for me. God was using this to draw me closer to Him. I felt that He was telling me to depend on Him. In previous races I took part in, I relied a lot on the crowd cheering, or music playing, and this was different. The run made me focus on the bigger lesson that I think God was trying to teach me...If I can learn to depend on Him to get me through a simple run, how much more can I trust him in the weightier matters of my life? I am a very structured, control-type person. I feel like I can control a lot of things. When circumstances happen that are out of my control, I often am lost, not knowing what to do. I believe that God is trying to mold me to be the person He wants me to be and not rely on myself for things but for Him to give me everything I need. I feel like my lesson on Saturday was to spread my arms out wide and fall backwards...knowing that God has me and will take me where I need to go. So, I decided while I was running, that I would not run in the race in Nashville. I was going to finish my half-marathon today. I didn't need a number on my shirt, the crowd cheering for me, the free t-shirt, pictures crossing the finish line, or anything else, because I had my God. I wanted to end my training with this experience that not only tested my limits physically but also spiritually. Oh, and when I came home...Cana greeted me, and took a picture of me...so I do have a picture after all. Kind of look like a wet dog, don't I?


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was for sure a "God moment". I cried reading this. I love you and am so very proud of all the accomplishments you have made. You are such a joy to be around and to know. I love you and you said it well. You finished something way more priceless today... You gained a more spiritual relationship with the God of YOUR understanding. I love you Lori =) Love mimi
How inspirational to me!!! I am so proud of you reaching your goal. May God always bring forward this memory to you to calm your soul and help your life's "run". I love you. Momma
Post a Comment