This is an article I wanted to include in my blog since this is my "scrapbook" of events. I read this post from David and I totally agree with him. Although I didn't know Mike as well, I had conversations with him that allowed me to see who he was as a person. He also spoke at a family member's funeral and was at the hospital when my aunt Diana died. He was extremely nice, caring, and seemed to be really listening when I was talking. A real "people person." I haven't heard anyone say a bad word against him. I thought that this article was a really good one especially the 5th section of this article - maybe God was tired of waiting...and decided to bring His child home.
"The death of Mike Nix, minister at Beltline Church of Christ, left an awful void in the lives of those left behind.
The Moulton native came to Beltline in 1998, and the church has not looked back. He helped build not just one of the largest churches in Decatur, but one of the most diverse. Under his leadership, Beltline has welcomed all. Nix was a child of God, and recognized God's paternity in all he met.
"He was a wonderful, wonderful man," said Harry Hames, a deacon at the church. "A guy after God's own heart, kind of like David in the Bible."
The day before his death he performed a wedding ceremony wearing a cast on his leg.
Untimely death is painful for the survivors. Our lives are diminished, regardless of our certainty that God embraces the departed. We want to rage at the unfairness, at the seemingly random disruption in our lives. In the case of Nix, however, it is hard to wonder if God did not simply get tired of waiting for his child to come home.
"If you wanted to see Jesus Christ, you could just look in Mike Nix's eyes," said a friend, Calvin McBride.
We could wish for the vision of Elisha, who watched his mentor Elijah being plucked from this imperfect world.
As described in 2 Kings, chapter 2: "Behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."
We could not see the horses or chariot but suspect they were there, the hooves pounding joyful thunder in the canter to the promised land."
from: The Decatur Daily
No comments:
Post a Comment