Monday, August 25, 2008

A Lesson on Faith

We left out early Wednesday morning to head to Aunt Amy's house in Baton Rouge. Of course we HAD to stop by New Orleans and have a beignet at Cafe DuMonde. YUM! We had such a great time at Amy's. She took us around LSU campus and the kids loved spending time with her. On Friday, we headed to the beach. We knew from watching the weather that hurricane Fay was probably going to ruin our trip. She was supposed to hit the beach by Saturday morning. We got there Friday and played as much as we could on the beach. It was kind of overcast, but we had a good time. My whole family had been praying for good weather and it just didn't look like it was going to happen. With each weather forecast...it just seem to be getting worse. I had been praying that it would turn a different direction. After realizing it probably wasn't going to do that...I changed my prayer. This time I knew that if we were supposed to be rained in that it was for a reason and that we would still have a good time. I just prayed that it wouldn't last long and that we would be safe. On Saturday, it was still a little overcast, with patches of sun, but we were able to play in the sand and pool. I figured God was at least allowing us some time on the beach. It started raining around the time that we were getting ready to go to LuLu's to eat. It basically drizzled all evening. When I got into bed that night I was already thinking about what games we could play in the rooms and what Olympic sports would be on t.v. I was sure that any minute now a torrential downpour would happen. Imagine my surprise when I awoke Sunday morning and looked out on the balcony....GLEAMING SUNLIGHT! It was a beautiful day! After our family worship service in the room --part of the devotional was on faith =) -- we went outside and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine that God blessed us with. It made me question my faith. Why do I ask God for things and then I am surprised when He does them? If I ask in faith, I should believe. I know, I know, this is just a little thing...a vacation...but God saw fit to give us a wonderful family vacation together. Not only did He answer my amended prayer, but He showed me His power by not letting it even come our way. My sister talked to a local man when they were leaving out and the man said that the whole time he had lived there, he had never seen a storm change direction like it did. Of course, he didn't know it was the LoveButt Family Vacation, now did he? Whenever I am at the beach and look at the waves I am always reminded of how small I am in this world. I find it amazing that God would love me so much and that He knows the desires of my heart. He is so powerful and I saw Him display some of that power this weekend. We had some great family time, but we were missing one member...Richard wasn't able to go and we missed his humor the whole weekend. I always look forward to our family vacations together. Spending quality time together makes us even closer than we are already and that time is priceless. I took some pictures that I will post in a future blog. Which leads me to....I lost my camera somewhere on Tuesday and was distraught...to say the least. My wonderful husband went out that night and bought me a new one (out of our emergency fund...for you Financial Peace people). This is such a big deal that he would do that for me...those of you who were in our marriage class at church may remember the first camera episode! So, thank you my dear husband! I will plan on posting them soon!

2 comments:

Rebekah D. said...

Glad you're having a good vacation and didn't get too much rain on your parade! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on faith, too.

Becky said...

Sounds like you ended up with a great vacation! Can't wait to see the pictures (from your brand new camera of course!) Thanks for your thoughts on faith and expecting to get what you ask for- That was a pick-me-up that I needed to hear today!--Becky